The A656/A656M-13 steel grade is a high-strength, low-alloy structural steel that is commonly used in construction and engineering applications. It is known for its excellent mechanical properties, including high tensile strength and improved formability.
1. High Tensile Strength: The A656/A656M-13 steel grade has a minimum yield strength of 345 MPa (50 ksi) and a minimum tensile strength of 485 MPa (70 ksi). This high strength allows it to withstand heavy loads and stresses.
2. Improved Formability: Despite its high strength, this steel grade has good formability, meaning it can be easily formed into various shapes and sizes without compromising its properties. This makes it suitable for applications that require complex shapes or bending.
3. Weldability: A656/A656M-13 steel grade is readily weldable, allowing for easy fabrication and joining of different components. It can be welded using common methods such as arc welding, gas welding, and resistance welding, making it versatile for various construction projects.
1. Structural Construction: The A656/A656M-13 steel grade is commonly used in building and structural construction due to its high strength and excellent formability. It is often used in the fabrication of beams, columns, and other load-bearing components for buildings, bridges, and infrastructure.
2. Heavy Machinery and Equipment: This steel grade finds applications in the manufacturing of heavy machinery and equipment that require high strength and durability. It is used in the construction of cranes, excavators, mining equipment, and other heavy-duty machinery.
3. Transportation: A656/A656M-13 steel grade is suitable for applications in the transportation sector. It is used in the fabrication of truck bodies, trailers, and chassis due to its high strength and impact resistance.
4. Offshore and Marine Structures: The steel grade’s high tensile strength and corrosion resistance make it suitable for offshore and marine structures. It is used in the construction of oil rigs, offshore platforms, and shipbuilding.
In summary, the A656/A656M-13 steel grade has excellent mechanical properties, including high tensile strength and improved formability. It is widely used in construction, heavy machinery, transportation, and offshore applications due to its strength and versatility.