Exploring the Key Characteristics and Applications of A964/A964M-17 Steel Grade
The A964/A964M-17 steel grade is a low-alloy type of steel that is commonly used in various industries due to its excellent mechanical properties and resistance to corrosion. This grade of steel is specified by the ASTM International (formerly known as the American Society for Testing and Materials) and is widely recognized for its reliability and performance.
The chemical composition of A964/A964M-17 steel grade is as follows:
– Carbon (C): 0.10% max.
– Manganese (Mn): 0.60 – 0.90%
– Phosphorus (P): 0.025% max.
– Sulfur (S): 0.025% max.
– Silicon (Si): 0.10 – 0.35%
– Copper (Cu): 0.20% max.
– Nickel (Ni): 0.40% max.
– Chromium (Cr): 0.40% max.
– Vanadium (V): 0.02 – 0.05%
– Nitrogen (N): 0.02% max.
The A964/A964M-17 steel grade exhibits excellent mechanical properties, making it suitable for various structural and industrial applications. Some key mechanical properties include:
– Tensile Strength: 485 MPa (Minimum)
– Yield Strength: 275 MPa (Minimum)
– Elongation: 15% (Minimum)
The A964/A964M-17 steel grade is commonly used in the following applications:
1. Construction: It is employed in the construction industry for the fabrication of structural components such as beams, columns, and trusses due to its strength and durability.
2. Automotive Industry: This steel grade is used for manufacturing various automotive parts such as chassis components, suspension systems, and engine parts due to its high performance and resistance to wear and tear.
3. Oil and Gas Industry: It finds applications in the oil and gas industry for the construction of pipelines, oil rigs, and other infrastructure due to its corrosion resistance and high strength.
4. Machine Components: A964/A964M-17 steel grade is used in the manufacturing of machine components such as gears, shafts, and bearings due to its excellent mechanical properties and wear resistance.
The A964/A964M-17 steel grade is defined by the ASTM standard A964/A964M-17. This standard provides the specifications and requirements for low-alloy steel shapes, plates, and bars used in structural applications.
In conclusion, the A964/A964M-17 steel grade is a low-alloy steel with excellent mechanical properties and resistance to corrosion. It finds applications in various industries such as construction, automotive, oil and gas, and machine components. This steel grade is specified by the ASTM standard A964/A964M-17.